Friday, March 14, 2008

Somebody should have told Sharon Stone…

It is the duty of a woman’s best friend to let her know when she needs a mint because her breath smells remarkably like fresh shit, when she’s had way too much to drink because she completely missed the toilet and pissed directly down the back of her pants, and when she is way too old to play a sex kitten even when you made the role famous 14 years earlier. Where the hell were Sharon Stone’s friends when she was asked to make Basic Instinct 2?

As a recent transplant to LA money is tight and I have found really great ways to save money, one of them is renting movies at my local library instead of Blockbuster or subscribing to Netflix. This often means that I watch movies that I have no real interest in but they just happen to be on the shelf. When I saw Basic Instinct 2 on the shelf I knew it was probably going to be bad, really bad, awful in fact but, I still picked it up. I was hoping it would be the kind of bad that makes something good, a masturbatory delight filled with great and lurid sex. Instead, I got an over the hill, robot like Sharon Stone whose acting consisted of icy stares and a throaty monotone paired with a hunky David Morrisey who looked uncomfortable having sex on screen. But I digress this is not a movie review.

This is about knowing when to stop. Did Sharon Stone really need the money they offered her for Basic Instinct 2? In our celebrity obsessed culture surely the story of her cash shortage would have been all over the press. So, if it wasn’t the money what possessed this grown ass woman (pardon the African American colloquialism but Sharon’s been an adult for quite some time now) to take all her clothes off for the camera, again? Okay, she is in great shape if you like that too thin waif look popularized by Victoria Beckham and The Olsen twins. But it was hard for me to appreciate her great shape in clothes that were too young for her to pull off, white shirts that showed off her nipples, and tight pants that showed that she had no ass. It was sad. I felt bad for Sharon… even her character Catherine Tramell could have told her that as women age what made them sexy in their twenties is not what makes them sexy in their forties. Having a great shape helps but women in their forties no longer have to solely rely on their bodies to attract men and the old adage “less is more” applies. (A hint of skin and a whole lot of experience and innuendo is all she needed.)

I see these older women out sometimes, clearly in their 40’s and beyond, wearing outfits from the junior’s section of Nordstrom or worse yet Forever 21. In clubs they are often the loudest and/or the drunkest. They usually hang out with much younger women and offer unsolicited sexual advice. They are the widowed, divorced, or never married women whose children are finally old enough to take care of themselves. And they spend so much time trying to look young that they actually look older.

My mother had a friend once who told anyone who would listen how she used to be a “baby doll” and how men used to love to take care of her. Her nickname was Legs Diamond. When she met her common law husband he was married to someone else but as she tells it she “had to have him.” Legs hunted him down… she went where he worked, to places he hung out and even called his house, where he and his wife lived. (Talk about a bitch.) Legs won, she got pregnant, he got divorced and they moved in together. They shared a home for over 18 years. He had other affairs, she had an affair. Eventually, like all good things it had to end. Legs lost her job and went from full time school administrator to freelance consulting. She got her own place and she started hanging out with my mom more. Enter my 26yr. old brother.

My brother can be an asshole by his own admission. He is 6’3”, big and black, and has traveled the world, living in New York and California at one point. Women, young and old, love him. He and Legs’ son (a couple of years younger than my brother) were friends. At some point they, Legs and my brother, started fucking each other. When I found out I was horrified much in the way big sisters are always horrified to find out who their brothers are fucking. My other brothers and I began joking that the one brother was a Geritol Gigolo. By the way, Legs at this point was in her late 50’s and she looked great with lovely silver gray dreadlocks.

Most everyone knew about the affair and we all knew it wasn’t serious, except Legs. My brother was seeing at least three other women that we knew of. All of the three other women were in their 20’s. Legs had met all three of the women before in various social and religious settings and slowly, before out very eyes she began to transform. She went from dressing in blouses and slacks to low-rise jeans and thongs. Her locks transformed from regal gray to dark brown and she got a tattoo.

To my brother and his friends smoking weed is damned near a religious rite and Legs Diamond openly partook. She also began giving my brother money and driving him around town in her very new and expensive car and for a time things were good. Until my brother decided to cut her loose for a younger woman.

My mother, bless her soul, actually thought she was going to stay out of this debacle until Legs began calling to tell her about how my brother was doing her wrong and used her. Immediately my mother began fussing at my brother who, of course, didn’t want to hear it. When my mother called me to vent I told her what I thought. My brother is an asshole and Legs is an idiot. Sounds harsh, I know. I didn’t then and I still don’t doubt that my brother had used Legs but she also used him… for sex and self worth. She could not have had any expectations of monogamy with my brother who told her and anyone who would listen that he believed in polygamy. (Don’t ask…) As for the money, hey, you can’t buy love and as a woman in your mid 50’s I would expect her to know that.

Her mistake was in thinking that transforming herself into this younger version of herself that my brother would choose her. But, why we he choose a copy of youth when he had access to the real thing. She forgot her power and it isn’t her sex but her experiences and wisdom.

What made her beautiful was her poise and grace not how young her face and slender her waist.

2 comments:

Seanna Denee' said...

I commend you for pulling the observation no one seems to talk about together. Older women "should" be the wise ones. …those who provide direction to women whom are younger. These women no longer want to be grandmothers, many live the term "Do You" and are kind of embarrassing. Although my mother is not too old, Mid forties, she is able to keep up with trends and accessories, but of course they are out of "womens selections". I recently saw a woman and a daughter comin out of Forever 21 and I was thinkin ….. .I dont even want to look like the 18 year olds, and Im 28. . .why would she. I enjoy being my age and wouldn’t want to go backward. Even if some women dont choose to become wise with age, they can still remain a woman. Not a booper. Wishing you prosperity, Najaa,

Seanna

Z said...

Girl, you know you called it! I'm in my early 40s and don't want a child (under 35) for a mate...playmate, sex-mate, or any type of mate. I see many women at least 40, who shop in the teeny bopper section. And, I look at least 5-10 years younger than I am...blessed with good genes.

Its sad that your society places so much value on looks...younger, younger, younger. In a minute, top model shows will be hosted by former models in their mid-teens and contestants will be in diapers.