Monday, March 17, 2008

It's Because He's Black... Obama 2008

When people see me they see two things a, black, woman. It is an undeniable fact that I am indeed a black woman, black, of African descent, and woman, person of female gender. I am also a registered Democrat and a proud graduate of a women’s college. I say all of this because for some reason people think there is some dilemma I must be facing or some war raging inside of me over which Democratic candidate I support. “It’s clear isn’t it,” I say to all of my friends, “I am supporting the best candidate for me, whose politics and experiences are most closely aligned with mine.” The Clinton campaign says Hillary is the far more qualified candidate but, if I am asked to vote my conscience on Election Day then I must vote for Barack Obama.

Over lunch my good friend, Ana, a white woman, asked me who I was rooting for and I told her that in my case it was okay to assume that I was supporting Obama. I know that some black folks get upset by this but I’m not. Why should I be? Hell, I’m proud of Obama for having the gumption to mount such an ambitious campaign and the tenacity to stay in the fight. Furthermore, Obama, to me, is the embodiment of America and its’ dream. He is of mixed race yet he and the majority of Americans see him as black. (If that ain’t American I don’t know what is!) His father was absent throughout most of his life. He did not grow up rich and privileged but middle class and he had to take out student loans to pay for his education, like me. He was also the first African American elected president of the Harvard Law Review. He isn’t an actor, oil tycoon or owner of a minor league baseball team but a civic minded lawyer and now a Senator and perhaps one day, a President.

Obama is also Martin Luther King’s dream very nearly realized. He has brought together the races toward the greater good of making change in America. People, at least in the media and other public forums, judge him on the content of his character not by the color of his skin yet the fact that he is a black man running for President is not lost on them. His speeches rouse and ignite the listener and make the impossible seem possible. People, hungry for something new, latch on to him. He represents the little guy, the every man fighting against the political machine, fighting for his equal share of the power. He is the face of the disenfranchised, while Hillary is not. If he is elected President the world will celebrate America’s ability to somewhat transcend our racist past and America will be the first major western country to elect a person of color to lead a country.

Barack and I have shared experiences. Issues that I am most concerned with are racism, classism and sexism, in that order, and race has had the most impact on my life. I have often times been the only or one of very few black(s) in social and professional settings and I have found that whenever I achieve some level of success inevitably my race enters into the picture. Once, I received a promotion at a large insurance firm and a white female colleague said that I got it because I was black, never mind that the majority of the other people who were also promoted were white (five out of the eight who were promoted were white). In graduate school I was selected to make a 35mm film with the total financial backing of the school, I was one of five, some of my white classmates began griping that the only reason I was given this honor was that I was black. (The other recipients were two white men, an Asian man, and a white European woman; I guess I took some poor white man’s space.) In both instances it was my race that set me apart from the others and made me a target of scrutiny not my gender much like the way Geraldine Ferraro said the only reason why Obama has gotten so far in this campaign is that he is black man. (The funny thing is that if we fail it’s because we’re black and if we succeed it’s because we’re black… we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t.)

Gloria Steinem asserts that if Mr. Obama were a woman with his credentials he wouldn’t have gotten this far and the fact that he is a man has everything to do with his rise to national prominence. She lists his credentials as a person who became “a lawyer after some years as a community organizer… served as a state legislator for eight years, and became an inspirational voice for national unity.” Then she poses the question, “Do you think this is the biography of someone who could be elected to the United States Senate? After less than one term there, do you believe she could be a viable candidate to head the most powerful nation on earth?”

Hillary supporters like Steinem like to simplify and devalue Obama’s experience saying that Hillary has 35 years experience in public policy but this is due in part to her husband’s various political offices where she surely served him as an advisor. She has only served one full term in the Senate and her experience in the White House was as First Lady… FYI not a political office. Furthermore, if Hillary has 35 years of experience in public policy then Hillary is part of an antiquated political machine in Washington, a woman in an old boys club. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure she went through pure hell at times but she is a part of the machine. In fact, she is such a part of the machine that in order to save she and her husbands’ political careers she turned a blind eye to his numerous documented dalliances and transgressions, standing stoically by her man. She is a centrist in a party filled with centrists there is nothing radically new in her rhetoric and the truth of the matter is if she is elected to lead this country not a whole lot of our policies will change and after the initial oohs and ahhs of having a woman president it will be in effect, business as usual. She will prove that we can run a country as good as any man but not… better.

What Geraldine, Gloria and other Clinton supporters resent is Obama giving Hillary a run for her money. Let’s face it none of us thought his campaign would last this long but it has and Hillary and her cronies can’t believe she has to prove herself against, of all things, “a junior Senator from Illinois.” The funny thing is Geraldine in some ways is right. Race is a factor in this political race because the Clinton’s wrongly assumed that Bill’s presidency had bought the black races’ vote for Hillary but they never counted on the little upstart from Illinois. And no amount of saxophone playing on late night TV, visits to African American churches or counseling from high profile black ministers during a marital crisis can make you… black. (Just ask Duane “Dog” Chapman, the bounty hunter, he found out quite publicly that going to jail does not also make you black.)

Now, I am not a fool. My day to day existence as a black woman in America will largely remain the same if either Hillary or Barack are elected. Electing either of them as President will not change the minds of racist cops who negatively profile me and other people of color as criminals when we drive down the street. Nor will it create a fair and balanced judicial system that does not sentence blacks and Hispanics more harshly than their white counterparts. Nor will it ensure that my gay, lesbian and transgendered friends will be given equal rights as heterosexuals to legalize their relationships and in turn have the private sector, such as HMO’s, recognize those partnerships. Our children will not be magically moved from over crowded classrooms in deteriorating buildings with no books and computers to sprawling state of the art campuses of learning. No, none of these great things will happen… not in Barack or Hillary’s four years as President of the United States of America.

But maybe, just maybe, an Obama Presidency will give those racist cops cause to pause before they pull us over. Maybe, just maybe, parents will begin to demand better schools for their children en masse so that their baby can grow up someday and become… president. Maybe, just maybe, I and others of my race will feel inspired to Pledge Allegiance to this country that has left us largely disenfranchised and stand shoulder to shoulder with their white counterparts and say we are proud to be American. But maybe, just maybe, it will inspire us all to believe in America’s dream of equality, freedom and justice for all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Najaa, a correction. Hillary Rodham Clinton's 35 years of public service started when she graduated from Yale Law School and went to work for the Children's Defense Fund.

As for her stint as her husband's adviser - a sexist comment, by the way - she drafted the administration's health care reform and was pilloried by the right wing for her activist role as a First Lady.
They preferred someone silent and behind the scenes.

I'm not sure whether I'll vote for her. But let's keep the record straight. She has a solid record of achievement and we shouldn't belittle it.

Anonymous said...

Najaa,I would never vote for someone because they are black and not because they are female...BUT...I damn sure am not going to vote for someone because they seem to like "black people", and I happen to be BLACK....I am so angry with my brother (he is 2yrs older than me)...my brother cashed in on the affirmative action gig and went to Boston University (free) and has a masters degree, has retired and lives in Stoughton,Mass. with his wife and 11yr. old son in a $500,00
house, feeling great....why in the world did he vote for Hillary??? he told me that she was cool and she partied with mostly blacks, him and his friends when he was in school...WAKE UP!!!!! We had a FEW words about that. I am in agreement with you about Obama...he is not one of those privileged people of this America, he does not feel like we owe him this position as president, so what if Hillary was in the white house as a 1st lady who was ALLOWED to draft the administration's health care reform...which by the way is one big mess...I work in health care...I believe that Obama will rise to the occassion and there will be improvement not just for people of color, but all people will have greater opportunity to experience what it feels like to be an AMERICAN!!!!!

Seanna Denee' said...

Actually comment #1, her list of achievements are not really important, many of them do not directly effect REAL issues of the world.. here are a few of her "accomplishments" below, I dont think she can realistically do much more than the next white man is willing to do for issues that really matter. Let's not forget although Bill did us some good, there are some hidden actions the media controls us from knowing. This comment is to belittle her. We have the opportunity here to make a real difference, and we cant even stick together on this. ALL BLACK people should be voting for him REGARDLESS. Anything is better than the hell this country and our children are going through since Regan. . . We should be ready for a change of color. We've been living with white walls since eternity.

HILARY'S "ACCOMPLISMENTS"
Im sure she's done more, but "really" what accomplishments do WE care about?

• Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site

• Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month

• Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Honor

• Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall

• Name courthouse after James L. Watson

• Name post office after John A. O'Shea

• Designate August 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day

• Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day

• Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death

• Congratulate the Syracuse University Orange Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.

• Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship

• Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program

• Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda

• Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death

• Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty

Seanna Denee' said...

Okay not eternity, of course we are the beginning. Ill just say Its time to get this thing back on track. Or least make ONE unified attempt.

Anonymous said...

reply to Seana: I'm talking about hard work, not PR. I'm talking about drafting health care reform in 1996 that was shot down before we even got a chance to discuss it.

This conversations roils me because I'm a feminist, and I'm stunned at the way our community is showing its sexism in its denunciations of Hillary Clinton.

The accomplishments you list aren't accomplishments - but I'm not talking about them.

I'm talking about a solid track record of legislation, advocacy and office holding.

As for the experience issue with Obama, let me say this. It nags at me. I'm looking to see what he has done, and what he has run. I want to see his administrative skills, his ability to get legislation through, etc.

That's what I'm looking for and at.

But, and this is a big but, just because you don't care for someone, you don't have to trash them. I'm concerned about the amount of trashing that's going on. The division will let John McCain come right down the middle of us if we don't figure out how to work together.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, another correction about a woman who was "allowed" to draft health reform.

We have no health reform. The movement was killed with a massive PR campaign that linked it to so-called socialized medicine.

I'm always interested in the word "allow," when used in conjunction with women and people of color. That verb assumes we have no power, that someone or something is pulling the strings.

When I look at this race, I'm actually happy that African American feel we have choices; that we have to follow one leader because we won't be "black" if we don't.

Coalescing behind someone because he - and it's usually a he - is black is the kind of thinking that got us Clarence Thomas.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see so many comments but let me address a few of these just to set the record straight: Hillary did draft healthcare reform and was pilloried by the right wing then, she turned around and took the second largest contribution from the healthcare industry when she ran for office. I guess she got over it. Secondly, she herself made the comment when Bill first ran for president that the American people were getting two for the price of one. Now, we know that Hillary was First Lady during the time Bill was President so I don't think it is sexist to refer to her as his adviser. (She already alluded to this.) As far as experience goes, we can go tit for tat but I'd rather not. My intention was to show how easily we can devalue someone's experience(s)as Geraldine and Gloria did previously with Barack. Lastly, on voting for someone just because they are black surely their are exceptions, Clarence Thomas, Ward Connelly, and too many others to name. We learned the hard way that skin color is not enough to solely base one's vote. Note: I pointed out me and Barack's shared experiences too.