Monday, November 17, 2008

After the Afterglow… Waiting with Baited Breath (Me and Barack Obama's Presidency)


It’s been almost two weeks since we elected our first African American president, Barack Obama, and I’m feeling like I feel after I’ve had sex with someone for the very first time. “Does he feel the same way about me as I feel about him?” “Did we rush into this?” “Did we know enough about each other to take this step?” “Is he the one?”

Now I know some folks, black and white, see Barack Obama as the “second coming,” but I’ve been through this sort of thing before… falling for the dream and not the man. I still have high hopes for my relationship with Barack Obama and the Obama presidency but relationships of politics past keep haunting me. There was Washington DC’s former mayor Marion Berry smoking crack with his mistress while in office, former presidential candidate Jesse Jackson taped saying he’d like to cut off Barack Obama’s nuts and having a love child with his mistress, former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s affair with his chief of staff then perjuring himself in court about it in addition to a federal investigation into his possible tax evasion and funds misappropriation and last but not least, Clarence Thomas who sexually harassed Anita Hill only to still be appointed a Supreme Court Justice who not only opposes Affirmative Action but is one of the most conservative judges on the bench. I could go on but I won’t (and for the record Colin Powell was on this list of disappointments with the outright lies he told the United Nations to invade Iraq but he redeemed himself recently with his admonishment of the Republican Party’s hate mongering and his open support of Barack Obama).

Yes, I know white politicians have their fair share of scandals but I don’t have a relationship with them. I do feel though that I have a special relationship with these African American politicians because by and large it was our, MY, community that supported and elected them. And every time they do something to dishonor their office and position they dishonor our ancestors, themselves, their families and every person of African descent. I know it is a heavy cross to bear but that is the reality of the situation. One misstep by these politicians is all the racists (some blatant and some closeted) needed to justify their beliefs that we are inherently inferior to them, that we lack the ability to lead and think rationally and that to be criminal is our nature. So, I worry about an Obama presidency because one misstep by him or his administration could set us back another 15 – 30 years in our struggle to gain economic and political power in this country. The effects would be devastating and far reaching in both the public and private sectors. (You think the systematic dismantling of Affirmative Action is bad... you ain't seen nothin' yet!)

So, I sit back, wait and watch patiently, taking note of who Barack chooses for his cabinet because you can tell a lot about a man by who he chooses to surround himself with. Grandma says, “Birds of a feather flock together, Crows and Canaries don’t hang.” Truer words were never spoken! So far I like his first choice, his wife, an educated, successful, dark skinned African American woman. A sho’ nuff sistah! Not bad, not bad at all... if all of his choices could be this good…


Signed,
Waiting with Baited Breath

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Kwame deserved jail time. His lies cost the city of Detroit several million dollars that was paid to the former police officer whom Kwame fired.

Plus, he lied on the stand - and he's a lawyer. I don't feel sorry for Kwame at all. He knew exactly what he was doing and he got caught.

Seanna Denee' said...

Najaa. . Gyyrrl Im witchu. I'm hoping he's the one too. Only a man could make me shed tears as I have, and see the sun in the mist of rain. Only one with melanin can hold my attention to his each and every word, every syllable. . .its been that kinda relationship where I "admire" my man. (you feel me?) And I support him in all he does.. . .although I feel you.. .I cant help but be apprehensive or a little nervous or insecure as he goes out into the world with my support and give me reason to defend him or let alone doubt him, as we do when our men or brothers or our fathers make silly choices for temporal gratification. And I dont want to feel any frustration or anguish as he steps into that arena where the black man is up against old white congress with speckles of blacks, who may try to give him a hard time, or let alone stage an attempt to take him out. But Ill be here. Hell. . .the night we celebrated. . I was crying like each and every ancestor moved through me to appreciate the experience that fell on our people that night. Still gives me goose bumps.. . .I aint going nowhere. Unless of course his winning gives enough black men in our society the gall and guts and balls to stand up and make their own way. Then of course. .I would have other options, I may switch up men, but still within range and of course he would understand, because he was the first. Im down, and if the man dont accomplish nothing in 8 years, it would still be better than reaking havoc as Bush and Pre-Bush did with their 20 year interference of our black progress. (Sr.4 years as President, 8 years as Vice-President + Bush jr. 8 years)... . Obama's position alone has sprayed an inspirational mist among us.. .My sons are 9 and 6. . .the experience alone is food for their progress, our progress. As someone mentioned, my people, my people, our people. . .let's embrace the energy. . .and move with it for generations to come, My man, our man, lets independently embrace the essence of progress. . . as one.
Seanna Denee'